Ratings

This media has not been rated yet.
Be the first one!

To rate this media or to interact with your friends, create a free mediatly account. You'll also be able to collaborate with our growing community and make it you digital entertainment center.

Friends who like

Sign up to see which of your friends like this.

Linked media  

Linking media

Mediatly © 2013

Mediatly, The multimedia social network

Discover new movies and TV shows to watch, novels or comics to read, music to hear and games to play thanks to your friends. It's fast, free, simple and enjoyable!
To start discover a new world, Sign up for free

  
Hearst Corporation (1887)

Type :  

  Summary  

The Hearst Corporation is an American media conglomerate based in the Hearst Tower, Manhattan in New York City, New York, United States. Founded by William Randolph Hearst as an owner of newspapers, the company's holdings now include a wide variety of media. The Hearst family is involved in the ownership and management of the company.

Hearst is one of the largest diversified communications companies in the world. Its major interests include 15 daily and 38 weekly newspapers, and more than 300 magazines around the world, including Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan, Esquire, ELLE and O, The Oprah Magazine; 29 television stations through Hearst Television Inc. which reach a combined 18% of U.S. viewers; ownership in leading cable networks, including A&E Television Networks, and ESPN; as well as business publishing, Internet businesses, television production, newspaper features distribution and real estate.

  Biography  

George Hearst (1820-1891), American publisher and U.S. senator, entered the newspaper business in 1880, acquiring the San Francisco Daily Examiner. Seven years later, he turned the Examiner over to his son, 23-year-old William Randolph Hearst.

On March 4, 1887, William Randolph Hearst became editor and publisher of the San Francisco Examiner and transformed the sedate Examiner into "The Monarch of the Dailies." He acquired the most advanced printing equipment of his day, substantially revised the newspaper’s appearance and hired the best journalists he could find. He pushed his staff to write exciting news stories, and wrote editorials worded with force and conviction that enlivened the paper. Within a few years, the new Examiner was a success.

In 1895, Hearst purchased the New York Journal, laying the foundation for one of the major newspaper dynasties in American history. By the 1920s, Hearst, was the owner of a chain of newspapers from coast to coast. At one time, one in four Americans read a Hearst newspaper.

Hearst experimented with every aspect of newspaper publishing, from page layouts to editorial crusades. His newspapers introduced innovations such as multi-color presses, halftone photographs on newsprint, comic sections printed in color and wire syndication of news copy. Stories by Hearst correspondents from around the world were sold to other newspapers, giving rise to the Hearst International News Service, which later became part of United Press International.

Hearst Magazines was begun in 1903 with the publication of Motor magazine. Within the next 10 years, Hearst acquired several popular titles in 1905, starting with Cosmopolitan, then a popular fiction monthly, and Good Housekeeping'' in 1911. In 1929, Hearst created Hearst Metrotone to produce newsreels shown in movie theatres filled with news footage shot around the world.

Hearst began acquiring radio stations in the 1920s, and in 1948, he became the owner of one of the first television stations in the country, [[WBAL-TV in Baltimore.

William Randolph Hearst died in 1951, at age 88, and was succeeded by Richard E. Berlin as chief executive officer; Berlin had served as president of the company since 1943. Berlin retired in 1973, and Frank Massi, a longtime Hearst financial officer, served as president from 1973 to 1975, carrying out a financial reorganization followed by an expansion program in the late 1970s. John R. Miller, was Hearst president and chief executive officer from 1975 to 1979.

On November 8, 1990, Hearst Corporation acquired the remaining 20% stake of ESPN from RJR Nabisco for a price estimated between $165 million and $175 million. The other 80% is owned by The Walt Disney Company.

In December 2003, Marvel Entertainment acquired Cover Concepts from Hearst Communications, Inc.

On August 27, 2009, A&E Television Networks acquired Lifetime Entertainment Services.

In 2011, Hearst absorbed more than 100 magazine titles from the Lagardere group for more than $700 million and became a challenger of Time Inc ahead of Condé Nast.

Show more

  Novels  

  Photos    

  Videos  

  Press reviews    

  User reviews

  Sources

Whole or part of the information contained in this card come from the Wikipedia article "Hearst Corporation", licensed under CC-BY-SA full list of contributors here.